Welcome to Religious Education at First Unitarian Church of Lynchburg! NOTE: During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have moved all RE classes to Zoom on Saturdays at 3:00 pm (K-5) and 3:45 pm (6-8). Contact the church office at (434) 528-0744 or email@example.com for information on how to join us!Refreshingly different ...
At First Unitarian Church of Lynchburg, the RE Director, parents, and dedicated volunteers from our church community work together for a religious education program that is responsive to the lives of our children and teens and relevant to the times in which we live. We offer opportunities for children and teens to learn about diverse religions-not just one, to develop spiritual and ethical awareness not just for themselves, but for freedom, peace, and fairness for all. We endeavor to give children and teens many opportunities to discover, understand, and learn to be good stewards of our natural world. We want them to learn to see our natural world, our planet, our interdependence with all things with a sense of reverence and responsibility.
We are excited to be using a new-to-us curriculum this year called Soul Matters Sharing Circle! More information about Soul Matters can be found here
.Our primary focus in Religious Education stems from the 7 Unitarian Universalist Principles:
A typical Sunday's RE Program includes ...
- We believe that each and every person is important.
- We believe that all people should be treated fairly and kindly.
- We believe that we should accept one another and keep on learning together.
- We believe that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.
- We believe that all persons should have a vote about the things that concern them.
- We believe in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world.
- We believe in caring for our planet Earth, the home we share with all living things.
9:30 to 10:30 am: Nursery and childcare is available for children during Discussion Group (which meets in UU House).
At 10:30 am: Children attend the beginning of the church service with their parents, then following a Time for All Ages, a special segment just for them, all children and RE teachers depart for RE classes upstairs in the RE room.
11:45 am: RE classes are dismissed.
Across all Generations ...
At First UU Lynchburg, we offer many opportunities for our children and youth to get to know people of all ages with programs and special events including:
- Multigenerational church services
- Winter Solstice Pageant
- Music Sundays
- Faith in Action speakers
- Our Whole Lives (comprehensive sexuality education series)
- Hogwarts Summer Term at First UU!
- And so much more ...